Please read all of the instructions below before starting your online application.
Please use our Online Application Tool to apply for the graduate program.
We only accept online applications that are complete. Any late or incomplete applications will be rejected and deleted from our databank. Please do not send any written or email applications to the coordination office. We are not able to process or return them.
Timeline of important dates
2017/2018 Application window for positions available for IMPRS-TP traditional PhD and joint Residency/PhD training program in the field of psychiatry and neuroscience is now open.
- All applications have to be submitted through our Online Application Tool.
- Application deadline: January 02, 2018 (12:00 - noon CET).
- Deadline for references: January 05, 2018 (12:00 - noon CET).
- Candidates will be notified by End of January 2018.
- Interview-days in Munich: March 07-09, 2018.
Travel expenses and accommodation for the interview will be covered by IMPRS-TP, where applicable.
For detailed information about our application requirements see Who Qualifies.
Please note that you need to have completed your Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant field or MD prior to starting the PhD program, but not necessarily at the time of application.
We highly recommend that you submit your application as early as possible. This may be helpful should you run into any problems during the application process, e.g. if one of your referees does not submit a recommendation in a timely manner you would have sufficient time to deal with the situation.
In your application, please select up to 3 research groups you are interested in working with. You can find details about research areas and participating research groups on our webpage.
For your application you will have to submit
- Academic records (high school, Bachelor's, Master’s or MD's transcripts and certificates, respectively.
Please note: All submitted official documents must be written in English, German or need to be translated into either one of these languages. If you are submitting a translated document, please also provide a copy of the original document. For the online application, non-certified translations are sufficient. However, please note that the original (or certified copies thereof) and the certified translation of these documents will have to be presented to the coordination office once candidates have been accepted onto the program. Certification of copies can be issued, for example, by the dean's or registrar's office of your university, a German embassy or consulate, a branch of the German Academic Exchange Service, a public notary or a Goethe Institute.
- 2 letters of recommendation from scientists familiar with you and your work (e.g. MD, Master or Bachelor supervisor). You will be automatically notified about the submission of the recommendation letters by your chosen referees. Please note: it is your responsibility to make sure that the referees submit their letters by the application deadline.
- 2 brief essays – one describing your previous research experience, the other describing the reasons for your particular interest in the IMPRS-TP program
Please take note of the following rules
- You have to apply using our Online Application Tool; applications submitted by mail or email will not be considered
- No application fees apply
- You have to submit your application in English
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Please remember to formally submit your application by clicking the “Submit” button once your application is complete. Applications that are not submitted will not be considered
- The maximum file size per uploaded document is limited to 5 MB; Formats accepted by the Online Application Tool are pdf only. Any uploaded file that does not comply will not be processed and therefore will not be visible to the reviewers. If a document consists of more than one page it should be combined into a single PDF file. Please refrain from submitting protected documents (password or other). Protected documents cannot be converted into a final PDF file and thus will not be seen by the reviewers.
- We recommend you use a file name that reflects the content of the file. Please use standard characters from the Latin alphabet and numbers for file names. Please avoid using special characters e.g. plus sign or question mark. These characters may be incompatible with UNIX and hence we will be unable to open your file. We advise you scan any documents at a resolution of no more than 300dpi.
- Please submit your application in a timely manner - avoid submissions close to the deadline. With this approach you allow for sufficient buffer time should you encounter any issues, technical or of different nature, during your application process.
Please open your uploaded file prior to final submission in order to check it works properly.
Applications will be independently reviewed by multiple members of the IMPRS-TP. The most promising candidates will be selected for personal interviews in Munich. Selection will be based on academic qualification, research experience, motivation, scientific background and the letters of recommendation.